Just get out there and ride! Don't need lycra or special shoes. A helmet is optional...your choice.

I am just a guy with a love of the bicycle and a firm believer it is a viable form of transportation. The bicycle is an amazing invention. It allows a small human to transport a large load over long distances easily. It is THE MOST ENERGY EFFICIENT FORM OF TRANSPORTATION...PERIOD!!!

Monday, January 12, 2009

Almost There!

From Redline R530


My Dutch inspired bicycle is almost done! I got my Basil Karvan II panniers installed, along with a Esge double legged kickstand. Thanks to Portlandize and Rat Trap Press for their input.

Just a few more goodies and I will declare the bike done. I want a different set of pedals the touring pedals from Velo-Orange look like what I want, then most likely a set of Power Grips. Still toying with the idea of getting a different tail light that is generator powered with the stand light, current tail light and PB Super Flash are doing just fine so I may pass on that for the time being. I am also toying with the idea of a set of cork hand grips, but that is more of an aesthetics thing.

Any suggestions are welcomed!

Aaron

12 comments:

Rat Trap Press said...

Hey Aaron, those are some nice panniers. The bike looks great. If you haven't used a double legged kickstand before you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

I wish I had a chain guard like yours. I like riding in pants when it's cold but I hate having to bind my pant legs.

2whls3spds said...

I have had one bike with a double legged before...now I am going to have to order at least 2 or 3 more for other bikes! The chain guard came on the bike, that was one of the big selling points for me.

Aaron

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely bike. I'm wondering about one of those two-legged stands as well as mine is beginning to wobble a bit...

2whls3spds said...

workbike,
Well worth the money. IIRC Xtracycle makes one specifically for their beast, but apparently it doesn't work with the wideloaders?

You can also get one of the nice Hebie stands I have one on order for the Staiger

I can highly recomend a two legged kickstand, you wonder how you ever lived without one.

Aaron

David J said...

It's beautiful

2whls3spds said...

Thanks DavidJ,
I chose things that make me happy to have on a bike, as well as things that fulfill my basic requirements. With the US economy headed where it appears to be, I figure to be riding it quite a bit.

Aaron

Dave Feucht said...

Hey, you got the Basil bags! Hope they work out well!

I've been curious about getting a center mounted double kickstand like that too, seems like it'd be really convenient.

I'd love to get an AXA rear wheel lock and cable attachment too.

Cheers!

2whls3spds said...

Only one complaint with the bags so far...the Redline has an odd shaped rack and I am getting a bit of heal strike with them mounted the way they are. The center strap that goes around the stays will need to be moved forward on the bags, I have plenty of room on the rack to move them rearward.

Aaron

Dave Feucht said...

Oh, yeah, I wouldn't have thought of that - the rack on the Amsterdam is structured such that they're far enough back to be out of heel-reach.

I hope you're able to modify them without too much trouble. They sure are pretty bags. Not to mention - it's great being able to carry a couple days' worth of shopping home from the store :)

2whls3spds said...

I am looking at the bags more closely today (first day off in a while) I suspect if I move the leather attachment patch rearward on the bag it will solve the problem and probably be the best method. I will try to get pictures up.

Aaron

Velouria said...

Wow, how bizarre (in a good way) to see a Redline bike with a full chaincover! The overall effect with the panniers and accessories is very nice indeed. And the cork grips will add the perfect final touch to this, you'll see!

2whls3spds said...

@ Filligree...cork grips are on there, just haven't gotten pictures. Redline has already discontinued this bike, but Torker has picked up the production. Torker and Redline are both owned by Seattle Bike Supply.

Aaron